Skip to page body Home Government About Coral Gables Attractions Doing Business City Services I Want To...

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I obtain a Fire Permit for work in Coral Gables?

A Fire Permit for work in Coral Gables can be obtained from the Building and Zoning Dept. at Development Services located at 405 Biltmore Way, 3rd Floor, Coral Gables, Fl 33134.
An application must be completed indicating the type of permit required. The completed application must be accompanied by two (2) sets of sealed plans.

Call the Building & Zoning Dept. at 305-460-5245 for any questions or concerns.

Do you give free blood pressure checks/tests?

Blood pressure checks are available from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. or from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. every day. However, any time a person feels ill, they may go to the nearest fire station and have their blood pressure taken. If you are experiencing a medical emergency, do not hesitate to call 911. Rescue service is provided to all residents and visitors in the city.

Can I have my son’s/daughter’s birthday party at the Fire Station?

The Fire Department does not have the facilities to have children's birthday parties. We do give tours to children, which can precede the party held elsewhere. Please contact our office @ 305-460-5581 for questions.

Are children allowed to visit the Fire Station?

Part of our fire prevention mission is ongoing public education. We welcome children from pre-K to young adults to visit our Station 1 (2815 Salzedo Street) or our Station 3 (11911 Old Cutler Road) in groups no larger than 20 children. At least two weeks notice should be given. The tour includes viewing of fire and rescue trucks, the firefighter's gear, and answering questions about fire and life safety. Please call our office at 305-460-5581 to schedule a visit.

Where can I get Hurricane Preparedness information?

Hurricane Preparedness information is available at, as well as, and

Lists of evacuation shelters available, flood zone maps, information on preparing disaster kits, making a plan, as well as, information on how to stay informed, are on each of these sites.

If you need to be addeded to the Emergency Evacuation Assistance List, you must register with Miami Dade County's Office of Emergency Management. The Application can be downloaded from:

If you have any questions or concerns regarding Hurricane Preparedness or if you are elderly or disabled and want to learn how to be added to our Help List, please contact our office at 305-722-8705.

Where can I find Fire Safety information (such as how to make a fire plan?)

Fire Safety educational information for educators or families can be obtained at:
If you have any questions contact our Public Education Office at 305-460-5563 or via email:

When do I need to have my Fire Extinguisher checked or replaced?

An existing Fire Extinguisher in a business must be checked and tagged at least once a year, which can be done by private Fire Equipment companies found in the Yellow Pages. A fire extinguisher (in a home or business) should be replaced at least every five to eight years depending on the type. Be sure to check the paperwork that came with your purchase. A new fire extinguisher can be purchased at any local hardware or home improvement store.

A fire extinguisher should always be replaced after use.

I have a business in Coral Gables. How can I be sure that I am not inadvertently violating any Fire Safety Codes, and that my customers and employees will be safe in case of fire?

Once a year each commercial establishment, and all multi-family dwellings (such condominiums and apartment buildings) are inspected for potential life safety hazards, such as exits, lightning, extinguishers, exposed wiring, etc. Violations are noted and a list given to the business owner/manager with a time limit for correcting deficiencies/violations. Upon re-inspection, deficiencies/violations which have not been corrected are referred to the Fire Marshal. The Fire Marshal begins the procedure necessary to ensure fire safety compliance.

How do I get a copy of a Fire or EMS Report?

Fire Reports are Public Records, however Emergency Medical Service (EMS) Reports are not. In order to get a copy of an EMS report you must be the patient or the patient’s legal representative. EMS reports can be obtained by the patient coming into our main Fire Station (located at 2815 Salzedo Street) with a picture ID (Drivers License) or through an attorney with a subpoena or notarized medical information release form.

The fee for the report is fifteen cents ($.15) per page. Fire reports vary in the number of pages, and most patient records are two pages or thirty cents ($.30).

You may call 305-460-5564 for any additional information.

How can we arrange to have a Fire Drill for our building?

Fire Drills can be set up for a specific date and time, with at least two weeks notice. If you have not already done so, be sure to establish a Fire Evacuation plan for your building, and advise your tenants of the information.

Should you have questions concerning preparing a plan or setting up a fire drill, contact our office at 305-460-5581.

How can large groups, who have over 25 children, learn more about fire fighting and fire safety?

Arrangements can be made for a fire truck and crew to visit schools and special events within the community, with at least two weeks notice. Crew members give demonstrations of equipment and answer questions about fire and life safety, as well as, answer questions on becoming a firefighter.

For further information, please contact our office at 305-460-5581 to schedule a date and a time.

For insurance purposes, where is the closest Fire Station and Hydrant to my house?

To locate the nearest location, contact the Fire Prevention Office at 305-460-5563.

Does the Fire Department offer CPR training?

All levels of CPR training are available through the Fire Department. Additionally, residents and business members of the Coral Gables community may sign-up for free CPR/AED classes which are offered on the first Monday of every month. Space is limited and pre-registration is required. You may register for the CPR course in person at the War Memorial Youth Center, on 405 University Drive, Coral Gables, or online by visiting At least 6 participants are required to start a class. Personnel who successfully complete the course are issued a CPR/AED certification card which is valid for two years.

Does it cost anything to be treated by Rescue?

There is no charge for Coral Gables Fire Rescue to respond to a call for service. However, there is a fee charged if the patient is transported to a medical facility.

Why does a fire truck arrive when you call for an ambulance?

All Coral Gables Firefighters are cross trained as Emergency Medical Technician or Paramedic. Each vehicle is equipped with advanced medical equipment and are dispatched according to a strict response criteria and availability.  

How often should I change the batteries in my smoke detectors?

We recommend you change the batteries in your smoke detectors every 6 months, an easy way to remember is to change batteries when you reset your clock for daylight savings time.

What should I do when I see or hear an emergency vehicle coming towards me when I'm driving?

When it is safe to do so, you should pull over to the right and stop until all emergency vehicles have safely passed. If you cannot safely maneuver to the right, simply stop and stay stopped so the vehicles can go around you safely.  

Why do I need to keep weeds and bushes away from fire hydrants on my property?

Weeds and bushes should be kept three feet from fire hydrants for visibility and accessibility.

What are the hours for checking blood pressures?

Based of personnel and availability hours are from 8 am to 10 am and 6 pm to 8 pm. Emergencies or health concerns are welcomed all hours.

Does the Fire Department dispose of medical waste?

The Fire Department does not dispose of medical waste.

What is the Coral Gables Fire Department insurance classification?

Coral Gables Fire Department is proud of our Class 1 rating. ISO collects information on municipal fire-protection efforts in communities throughout the United States. In each of those communities, ISO analyzes the relevant data using our Fire Suppression Rating Schedule (FSRS). Classification range from 1 to 10. Class 1 generally represents superior property fire protection, and Class 10 indicates that the area's fire-suppression program doesn't meet ISO’s minimum criteria.  

Do you install infant car seats?

At this time we do not install infant car seats.  

Do you offer free CPR Classes?

Residents and business members of the Coral Gables community may sign-up for free CPR/AED classes which are offered on the first Monday of every month. Space is limited and pre-registration is required. You may register for the CPR course in person at the War Memorial Youth Center, on 405 University Drive, Coral Gables, or online by visiting At least 6 participants are required to start a class. Successful completion of the course will earn you a HeartSaver CPR/AED certification from the American Heart Association which is valid for two years.

For City wide FAQs, please click here

Last updated: 3/8/2018 9:23:47 AM