Jim Cason was elected Mayor of the City of Coral Gables on April 12, 2011. He is a retired U.S. Foreign Service officer with more than 40 years of national and international public service, including extensive experience in Latin America as a leader of multi-agency Embassy communities. He is fluent in five languages.
A long-time Florida resident with a family history in public service, Mayor Cason has been married for 38 years to his wife Carmen. The Casons have two grown sons; one is a Naval Aviator and the other is in international business. They also have four wonderful grandchildren.
Mayor Cason has had 10 years of higher education at several of the nation’s most prestigious institutions, plus advanced training in economics. He is a Fulbright Scholar and a graduate of Dartmouth College, Johns Hopkins University and the National War College.
Foreign Service Posts
• U.S. Ambassador to Paraguay
• Chief of Mission, U.S. Interests Section in Havana, Cuba
• Deputy Chief of Mission, U.S. Embassies in Honduras and Jamaica
• Political advisor to the Commander of NATO’s Supreme Allied Command, Atlantic
• Director of Regional Affairs, U.S. State Department’s Bureau of Western Hemisphere Affairs
• Served in U.S. Embassies in Portugal, Italy, El Salvador, Panama, Uruguay, Bolivia and Venezuela
• Presidential Meritorious Service Award*
• State Department Distinguished Honor Award
• CIA National Intelligence Award
• Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Meritorious Service Medal
• Coast Guard Distinguished Public Service Award
• State Department Lifetime Achievement Award
• Six State Department meritorious and Superior Honor Awards
• Honorary Doctorate, Universidad del Norte, Paraguay
*Presidential Commission selects best public servants from list of top 2% annually.
• Senior Inspector, U.S. Department of State
• President, Center for a Free Cuba
• Board of Directors, Quincy Oil & Gas, Canada
City of Coral Gables
Office of the Mayor
405 Biltmore Way, Second Floor
Coral Gables, FL 33134
Email: Mayor Jim Cason