The City of Coral Gables wishes you a happy and safe Independence Day and reminds you to practice fireworks safety this week. Each 4th of July, thousands of people, most often children ages 5-14, are injured while using fireworks. To keep it in perspective, a lit cigarette burns at 900 degrees; a sparkler -even after it burns out- is about 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit, which is hot enough to cause third-degree burns. The good news is that you can enjoy your holiday and the fireworks with just a few simple safety tips:
•Leave fireworks to the professionals. Do not use consumer fireworks.
•Do not light fireworks indoors, do not throw them from automobiles or light multiple devices at the same time.
•Children under 12 years of age should not handle sparklers of any type.
•After the firework display, children should never pick up fireworks that may be left over, they may still be active.
The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public display conducted by trained professionals. Bring your family to the July 4th Fireworks Celebration at the Biltmore Hotel for a fun and safe Independence Day!